This is a brief comparison of the differences between the 2012 and 2013 Magic Quadrants for Enterprise Architecture Tools based just on the X/Y position in the quadrant. We have chosen this approach because many people just look at the position in the quadrant and don’t read the report in detail.
Two major impacts to this approach are really impressive:
1. The majority of tool providers have been downgraded
If you look at exhibit 1 you can see the downgrades. Regardless of big names Gartner was rigorous about the placement in the grid. Sure, the big names are still part of the Leader Quadrant but the downgrade won’t make them really happy:
- alfabet and casewise lost ability to execute
- the completeness of the vision of troux has dropped significantly
- Atoll Technologies dropped to the bottom of the list
Worst case is that you lose your position in one of the four grids. That happened to
- OpenText: from Leader to Challenger
- iteratec: from Visionary to Niche Player
- BIZZDesign: from Leader to Visionary
2. Australian EA modeling tool provider did a good analyst relation job
This was just a fun exercise and should not have any deeper meaning. But what do you think about this Magic Quadrant, does it reflect your perception of the EA Tool market? Feel free to comment on this.